Wednesday, April 9, 2014

ENDER'S GAME OF THRONES PART 2



I really don't know what to think of this novel. On one hand it has all the things that I like in a novel like genocide. Kidding. But on the other hand, there is almost no character change throughout the whole story. And the book seems slightly sexist because there are only two main girl characters and the rest are guys. The only character change I can see in the text is Peter when he changes from a scary murderer to a political leader when he makes the blog with Demotheses. And is this even remotely realistic? I'm pretty sure that you can't be a big political player with blogging. I tried to make text to self connections with Ender but I just couldn't. How can you relate to someone when; “In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.” I didn't feel like any of the things that had happened to Ender would realistically would ever happen to anyone. I thought the most thought provoking lens was the gender theory lens. If he were a girl would he have an even tighter bond with his sister? And if so would he have even wanted to leave her? I think he would've handled the bullies differently, the stress of battle school, Bernard, friends in his launch group and assuming he got through all that, how would Ender have handled genocide and extinction of an entire species? Would he have instantly wanted to commit suicide? Another lens that I thought made a big difference is the trauma theory. From the text I can see that there is a very good possibility that Ender will have PTSD and be a sociopath from his new trauma. Especially if he accidentally kills the eggs of the buggers. I also don’t understand how this novel fits with the dystopian genre. Sure, Ender's teachers are mean, but they're not a very restricting government. Nobody thinks they're living in a utopia. They are always living in fear of the Buggers but no one is living the life in a expensive house, with a expensive car and a position of power. The world's in jeopardy but it's not post-apocalypse. Aside from the futuristic setting I don’t know why people would call it dystopian. But aside from the other things that I said about this book I actually liked it. It had a creative game for Ender to play and had a creative weapon for Ender (Doctor Device) to use. It had very good conflicts against the protagonist and was very interesting. It also had Ender play even more games with the computer and I liked the idea of the computer getting the picture of Valentine even though there was no image of her in the computer's database. This could mean that the computer went rogue or that the government is like the modern day NSA with no restrictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger