Friday, June 5, 2015

What is fear

What is fear?
The only thing that I have to say for this project is that it was fun. I thoroughly enjoyed working with Jack and even when he wasted 24 hours of work, he worked hard and we made a good project. I went to Jack’s house on the weekend before we were set to present and Jack had a sheet, lights and three cameras and we recorded for almost 12 hours. And it all was for nothing. I also contacted 10 psychiatrists. Only 3 replied and 2 wanted to do an interview. I eventually gave up on the first one because he was so hard to contact. I then interviewed a doctor named Pamela North. She had some great insights and I recorded a thirty minute interview. And it was all for nothing. We scraped both assets because they didn’t fit with our project well enough. Instead we interviewed a film professor at FILL IN HERE and David Firth, the maker of Salad Fingers, a really popular show on youtube. Although it was painful and poorly timed, it was fun working with Jack and learning about our world of fear. I came up with the idea for this project after watching some Vsauce videos and one of them was called, Why are things creepy. I used many ideas from his video like the uncanny valley and why things are creepy. In his video, Vsauce says that creepiness is caused by ambiguity but our research found that it is about non-human characteristics on a human body and it creates a disgust reaction. If I were to do this project again I would probably decide what to do earlier and condense our project earlier because the problem that we faced was that we just had too much stuff and we wanted to use all of it so it made our project really long. I think a more concise question like, what are phobias or why do people get scared would be better. From doing this project I learned how to work better in a group and how to be able to cut things that aren’t good enough. I really didn’t want to cut the interview that I did and I was skeptical when Jack said that we should start over and do a presentation after we worked for almost 24 hours. Before this project I don’t know if I would be able to cut that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger