Sunday, May 10, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird Reader's Notebook #1

To Kill a Mockingbird
Reader’s Notebook 1

I have not liked this book so far. When I could be reading an exciting book by Stephen King, I'm reading a book that hasn't even started giving an antagonist in the first one hundred pages. I briefly looked over the plot of To Kill a Mockingbird and I saw that it was about racism, but the only thing that had to do with other people’s skin color was when Calpurnia turned out to be black and when Atticus defends a black man in court. In the future of this story, I’d like to see the plot move at a faster pace and I’d like to see what this award winning book has to offer. Because so far Harper Lee can’t even get the dialogue to extend 3 lines before she includes something comparable to, “I mumbled that I was sorry”. I don’t know if I approve this kind of writing because it makes the dialogue jerky, but on the other hand it skips the rather boring talk that small towns can have and speeds the plot along. One of my favorite authors, Stephen King, uses the small town feel to get the reader immersed into the story and the characters. I think that Harper Lee purposely creates separation from the reader and the story. I do not know why, but it does create a new type of storytelling that I haven’t encountered before as a reader.
One part of this story that surprised me that surprised me in this story is how easily Boo Radley came up behind Scout and placed a blanket over her without her noticing. This got me thinking. What if Boo Radley is someone that they know? Boo is a cat-eating, dad-stabbing person, but what if all the stories are fake and he is just an average person that could fit into the crowd easily? I think that the adults would wonder why the kids had such an interest in an ordinary person and the kids would wonder why the adults are so cool when a psycho lives a few doors down from them. I do think that Boo is very mysterious and I wonder how Boo would describe the kids. He would probably think of them as annoying kids that do everything to bother him. But if Boo is the one hiding gifts in the knothole for them, he might think that those kids are cute in the same way a grandma might make cookies for her grand kids. Even though I am not looking forward to trudging through the grueling parts of this story, I will be excited about the To Kill a Mockingbird movie if we watch it in class.






https://youtu.be/Mi88P7KfaMA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger