Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Falsehood of Lies (Why lies lie, and other stories)

Over the past few days, I have been taught that there is no truth, because the truth is impossible. If you try to tell the truth it can be manipulated in so many ways because our language has many words for many different things. For example, a toddler would say: “I’m brushing my teef! It’s really fun!” But a teenager would say: “I was like brushing my teeth and like it was like really fun.” Both are true, but which one is really true?


“The belief that there is only one truth” - Max Born


Nothing can be the truth, but does this mean that nothing can be a complete and utter lie? If I asked my mom to lie to me she would say something like; I am at the Vikings game right now. Like I said in the first paragraph, the truth can be manipulated in so many ways so there can’t be a true truth. But I believe that there can’t be a false lie. Everything idea in this world was based on a previous idea or thing, but improved. A book character to make a bestseller, a rock to make the wheel. The only idea is the ones around us that we can observe. This same logic applies to lies because you can’t make a completely new lie. You are constantly using other peoples ideas and concepts and perfecting them to your liking. I might be walking into geography and the bell has already rung. Mr. Klatt might ask, “Why were you late?” Then I would look around see a bathroom pass and say I was in the bathroom.

The truth to me is what really happened. I understand that there is no real truth but as long as everything is true, then it is truth. http://youtu.be/Enz1sSI64X0

1 comment:

  1. It looks like my first comment here didn't save. Sorry about that.

    I really liked the audiobook you found. It's the first part of Tim O'Brien's novel from which the story we read was taken.

    I like how you show how language can complicate the truth. How we say things can be as important as what we say. You can see that in the tone of the two examples you use in the first paragraph. Sometimes, just putting thoughts and feelings into words makes them less true, because words aren't things and words aren't feelings.

    You come up with some great points in this blog. I like the ideas about wholly new truths and lies and the way we use other people's ideas to create our perceptions and reality.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger